Saturday, May 28, 2011

2011 Stanley Cup Finals

All right, guys...I see I was 50% for my last round predictions, mostly because I just simply hate Vancouver.  They managed to beat San Jose, much to my chagrin, and don't even look like they came out of it very beat up.  As with every other year in recent memory, the Sharks choked and simply cannot close the deal.  I think we're all running out of things to say about them.

Boston did beat Tampa, as I hoped, although it took one more game than I thought it would.  And what a game seven!  Goalie dual and truth be told, the way Roloson was playing for the Bolts I think Boston was lucky to get out of there.  But Horton came through with his second game seven winner of this playoff season so away we go to Vancouver.

Vancouver Canucks
           vs.
    Boston Bruins

No one, and I mean absolutely no one is giving Boston a chance in this series.  Not even Bobby Orr is picking the Bruins.  And I can see why.  Vancouver does look to be the overall better team here, I think.  After finally shaking the Chicago monkey off their backs, they have looked like the first palce club they are making it all the way to this final round.  They have the pieces, they are playing well and they are pretty healthy.  Luongo is dying to finally win a Cup to solidify the legacy he's been threatening to build and he may just lead them there this time.

I will say again, at the beginning of the playoffs I picked Boston to win the Cup, so it makes me extremely happy to see them here in the finals.  Of course, I thought they would be playing some other western team once they got here, rather than the 'Nucks.  Horton has been a monster, Thomas is still riding high and many other players are coming together to make this team deeper than it appears.  Chara leading on defense and playing well.  If only they could score a power play goal, it would be hard to find holes in their game.

I think Boston has more "men" on its team.  Lucic, Horton, Chara...even Recchi, et al.  Compared with the likes of the Butter Twins, Burrows, Erhoff, etc., I like Boston.  Having said that I believe guys like Kesler for Vancouver can make a huge difference for their team as he's already proven.  In my head, I know most people are right; this is very likely Vancouver's year and it would take a lot of work from the hockey Gods to enable Boston to get past them.  But I just can't do it.  I hate those buggars and I have to stick to my original predictions, don't I?  If there's one things the playoffs teach us and remind us of every single year, is that anything can happen.  That's the beauty of sport and why we play these games at all.  Anything can happen.  I'm going on a limb to say anything WILL happen....

Boston for the Stanley Cup.....in seven.

No comments:

Post a Comment