Thursday, August 19, 2010

Reverb The Noun

I've been back to jamming more lately and sometimes, like now, all I can think about is playing that guitar.  Lately it's all been about the Telecaster.  It's got a real nice twang that I like; sometimes, I describe it as sounding like a rusted out, broken down ol' pickup truck that's laying in an overgrown field behind greyed-out wooden fence posts.

Anyway, I've been in this real kind of alt-country/ Americana kind of music mood lately...and I gotta say, it's workin' for me.  So many great bands and musicians are really turning me on.  The big ones at the moment include Wilco, Lucinda Williams or anything Jack White touches.  Last few nights I've been playing some Wilco tunes from their album, "Sky Blue Sky" and have two down pat and comfortable: "You Are My Face" and "What Light".  Ruby and I often sing the latter in the car together...she loves the chorus.  Anyway, it's nice to get a few more songs down for my eventual track list of my fantasy album. 

I would like to believe, however, that the fantasy really isn't all the hard to achieve.  Fact is, I would love to find one or two guys to jam with and lay down some tracks.  It ain't that hard.  I know a lot of guys probably aren't that interested in doing covers, but I don't care.  There's a lot of great stuff out there and everybody get influence from someone.  So, until I learn how to write some original material, I'll just have to keep playing other people's songs!  So far, I do have a bit of a track listing, although I'm always learning and changing.  To be perfectly frank, one of my ambitions is to record a little CD at home to give to friends and family for Christmas.  One format I've thought about is to pick and "assign" a specific song for people in my life and use those on the gift CD.  As an example, I would do "Good To Be King" for Lorenzo; "No One's Gonna Love You" for Julie; etc.

In a lark of a conversation, started at the Empress one night with a couple friends, the idea was formed that led to the name of a band that we would start, "Reverb The Noun".  So far, I'm the only member of this band, but what the hell.  So I bring to you, my fantasy reading public, the first glimpse into the tracklist of the forthcoming album by


Reverb The Noun:
1. Hotel Yorba,  by the White Stripes
2. Pineola, by Lucinda Williams
3. You Are My Face, by Wilco
4. Good To Be King, by Tom Petty
5. Rain & Snow, by The Be Good Tanyas
6. Creep, by Radiohead
7. Real Live Bleeding Fingers & Broken Guitar Strings, by Lucinda Williams
8. Down By The River, by Neil Young
9. What Light, by Wilco
10.I Will Follow You Into The Dark, by Death Cab for Cutie
11. Wanna Be The Boy That Warms Your Mother's Heart, by the White Stripes
12. Hide Your Love Away, by the Beatles

No comments:

Post a Comment