Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Man, I gotta start writing about some things on here lest it become a weekly update of what I have on my iPod.  And that would just be sad.  I guess it’s about embracing new habits and such.  As we all know, I am a creature of habit.  So although that bodes badly for adopting new practices in my life, it sure looks good down the road once I get it into me!

Speaking of habits and changing the mindset, it’s time we get this house rolling.  When I bought my first house, it was an almost hundred year old farmhouse in a historical neighborhood.  It needed work.  That was one of the things I really enjoyed about it, too….it was fun to do the work!  Well, for the most part anyway.  So now into this house and the previous owners had done a bunch of renos, although there are many things left undone that Julie and I have to finish.  Anyway, because of the renos that were done and all that, we haven’t put any emphasis on doing work around the house.  That is bad.  To be fair, we’re still a fairly new couple and with some stress to relieve, we’ve just been going out and enjoying each other’s company.  That is good.

Now that the Empress has become Chernobyl, it’s a perfect opportunity for us to re-focus and spend all of our socializing money on making our house a home.  It’s all about frame of mind.  So, we started last night.  Sure, maybe we’ve started small…but at least we’ve started!  A quick trip to the Home Depot and a couple of little sore spots were easily rectified.  And nice to see; not a lot of effort for a nice change of atmosphere. 

First, new door handle on the downstairs bathroom.  It has been without one since we moved in…just a door with a hole in it.  Julie refused to use it…haha!  Done!  Next, I caulked the bathtub in the upstairs bathroom.  Although they had very nice tile work done around the tub and on the floor, they must not have had any kids.  Ruby splashes like a mermaid in that tub and let me tell you, water don’t mix so well with grout.  So I rubberized it.  Done!  After that, it was on to the living room where the bracket that cradles the curtain rod had been ripped from the wall.  It’s been like this since we moved in…two holes in the wall where the screws, anchors and all, had been torn free, leaving my drape hanging only by it’s right hand side.  At first I thought the base of the bracket might be big enough to cover the holes when re-installed a half inch over from its original perch, but I was wrong.  So, a bondo job it is!  Got me some Poly-fill and started the process.  One more fill tonight, then it’ll be on the sanding and painting before I can properly hang the drape again.

Lastly, a little cosmetic attention.  We bought a rug that really ties the room together.  Understand this: we hardly ever use our living room, thus it’s easy to put off making the room cozy.  But as I was saying, we gotta get on this stuff.  Julie picked out a rug which we brought home and unrolled last night.  What a difference maker!  It’s almost amazing, the effect of a little décor.  Anyway, what it does now is accent how empty our walls are of art.  Guess what we’re doing this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment