Friday, October 15, 2010

The Friday Five

Blues Before Sunrise – Eric Clapton, From The Cradle
Although Mr. Slowhand shows fantastic versatility as a guitarist, it’s his blues that I love the most.  And by the enthusiasm with which he bites into them I daresay it’s what he loves best as well.  No better example of it than on this song, or indeed this album.  For this particular track, he growls his best whiskey deteriorated voice and rasps in the way of a true Delta bluesman.  I could probably play it for a couple of friends (albeit, less knowledgeable ones) and they wouldn’t know it’s Eric, much less a Brit.  

Truckin’ – The Grateful Dead, American Beauty
One of their most recognized tracks from one of their most popular albums.  They may not have a ton of “hits” in the top ten during their time, but this is likely one of them.  Personally, there are a great many songs I prefer from this band over this one, but it’s a friendly foray into the mainstream.  And let’s face it…as cliché and cheesy as it may be, no road trip is compete without blasting a classic driving tune through the stereo while barreling down the highway.

Country Blues – Jimi Hendrix, Martin Scorsese Presents the Blues
Love it!  Being a guitar guy with a huge range of musical tastes, it seems sad even to me that I’ve admittedly never been a huge Hendrix fan.  I dunno what it is or why, just never really got all that into him.  But this, my friends…this is great stuff!  Having not been terribly exposed to him, of my own volition, I remember cruising around in a buddy’s car back in the 90’s when some killer blues came on.  When I asked her we were listening to and he told me Jimi, I was blown right away.  But then I didn’t know which of his albums to buy in order to get the stuff I liked, so I just forgot about it.  Then I ran into this “Martin Scorsese Presents…” thing and all my problems were solved!  Blues is all I want to hear Jimi play.  And Country Blues specifically, is a fantastic track!

God – Daniel Johnston, Yip/ Jump Music
The greatest songwriter you’ve never heard of.  I found out when a friend of mine lent me the documentary, The Devil In Daniel Johnston.  A lot of other people had already heard of him because Kurt Cobain had made the man a bit of a celebrity by often sporting one of his T-shirts.  The story of Mr. Johnston is a fascinating tale and I would recommend the movie as a starting point to anyone who’s curious to learn more about what he’s all about.  He’s bi-polar.  He’s batshit crazy.  But he’s a poetic genius.  Julie and I went to see him when he came through Edmonton last year and I considered that a treat.  It was like going into his basement, to watch him flipping back and forth through his song and lyric sheets between each song.  Such a homegrown, childlike feel to everything he does.  It’s charming.

The Difference Between Us – The Dead Weather, Sea of Cowards
This is the second and latest album by one of Jack White’s other bands.  Although it’s as easily described as Alison Mosshart’s other band.  Mosshart, of The Kills, is fast becoming my latest White-esque muse.  But let’s leave that for another song analysis, shall we?  Not even a lot of my well-rounded friends are all that into the The Dead Weather yet, but I love ‘em.  They bring back the edge that rock n’ roll is kinda supposed to be about.  In an era when everything in music is categorized to death into sub-genres, this band stands straight up as rock n’ roll…or at least, how rock has evolved over the years.  It’s not Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones, but it just may be who those bands would have been if they were launching their careers today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment