Friday, October 22, 2010

The Friday Five

Star Turtle 1 – Harry Connick Jr., Star Turtle
This was considered a concept album by our modern day Sinatra.  In it’s entirety, the album tells a tale of a visiting alien being taken out for a night on the town by his earthling host, presumably in New Orleans, I would think.  This is actually one of my favorite albums of his.  This particular song is an intro to the story and as such is a little weird, musically speaking.  But once it gets jamming, this album is solid track-to-track.  Lots of guitars and more of a “rock” feel almost.  I saw harry live in Edmonton, maybe back around the year 2000 or so and still stands up as ne of the best shows I’ve been to.  Very personable guy.  For the show I saw, he actually had a cast of his hand for a broken finger (thumb?), but even that didn’t stop him from attacking the piano. 

Silver & Gold– The Detroit Cobras, Baby
Now, work with me here….Julie just brought this home last week, I put it on the iPod, but haven’t actually sat down and listened to it yet.  We have another one of their albums that I quite enjoy and upon this song popping up in the shuffle, it sounds good and very much like what I’m used to from this band.  They have a neat feel; kind of a 50’s doo-wop but set with a modern rockabilly, hot chick fervor.  I’ve heard songs from them that sound like they’re kind of reeling it in a bit for the sake of melody and cohesiveness, but I’ve also heard them let loose with more punky growls…and that’s the way I prefer them.

RomePhoenix, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
This is an average track of a pretty good album.  This is their latest release and the first tie I had heard of the band.  Julie has known about them for a bit and recommended I buy it.  But a funny thing happened on the way to my CD rack.  Phoenix got popular.  Don’t know if the gig on SNL or the popularity of Lisztomania, but all of the sudden everyone knows who they are.  That equates to hearing them everywhere and ultimately, not being so cool any  more.  Haha!  However, to be fair…this was my first taste of them and I didn’t mind it at all.

You Never Can Tell - Chuck Berry, Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Ah, yes!  What I would consider one of the more iconic scenes from my cinematic generation.  Everybody knows this one.  And everyone also knows how a Quentin Tarantino movie can affect music.  On many more than one occasion, a Tarantino scene has come to define or re-define a song.  To the point that when you hear that song, all you can think about is that scene from the movie where you heard/ saw it.  I don’t even have to illustrate this point with Stuck In The Middle With You, do I?  Anyway, this is the dance competition scene where Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega strut their stuff with original moves I’m willing to bet you can still spot on your local dance floor.  And somehow, in some way…I like how Chuck Berry is just a little bit dirtier now for having his song associated so closely with blood and heroin. 

But I Feel Good - Groove Armada, Lovebox
With the heavy reggae voice and catchy horns, this is a memorable and good track from this dance album.  This is about the furthest my variant taste stretches…I generally hate pop music and all that crap the kids are listening to at the mall.  But these guys have been the club scene darlings for many years without very many people knowing who they were.  That changed about 10 years ago, I’d say, when everybody’s musical education and awareness somehow went up with the proliferation of the world wide weeeb.  Good album with catchy beats.  You’ll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment