Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Friday Five - January 14, 2011

Tomorrow Night – B.B. King, One Kind of Favor
This is a pretty recent album from our everlasting blues hero, released in 2008.  In proving his continued talent and relevance, it won a Grammy award that year for best traditional blues album.  This song is lilting ballad featuring very little of his trademark guitar, save for a few token bars.  It is based, however, around the piano playing of Dr. John, a New Orleans legend on near the same standing as Mr. King.  Damn, listening to this now, I think I’m gonna go put it in my car right now.

Pedestal – Beth Orton, Pass In Time: The Definitive Collection
This is a beautiful song.  I wish I could think of a comparable for her voice to give you an idea on how pretty it can be…but it is wholly hers.  I have heard her music described as “folktronica” to which I will assume you can draw your own conclusions.  I haven’t seen or heard much from her lately (this is a 2003 album), but I may follow up on that.  This is an album that kind of got lost in my collection.  The one thing I remember reading about her is that she is a “carbon neutral” artist, meaning a tree is planted for however so mnay CD units she produces.  The non-hippy Hippy.


Trouble’s Braids – Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones
This a 1:18 long song, featuring the typically heavy bass and identity-bearing percussion that Tom often employs (is it a garbage can lid?) while he breathes a rhythmic poem for the vocal track.  I love, love, love this album and have since the first time I ever heard it spun.  One of the most artistically free compilations I have ever come across, and even more so riveting because it’s American, typically not a market to embrace this kind of musical liberation. 

Zero – Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
The opening chords of this song immediately identify this sing, this band and this album…they all defined a certain time in most people I know lives.  And this song takes us there.  I remember going to this show when they came on tour…I managed to get tickets in a luxury suite and took my buddy Jay, who was a way bigger fan then me.  As the evening wore on and the Pumpkins got a little more self indulgent, they went off on this noise creating path for about 15 or 20 minutes.  During this time, we noticed a dude in the row in front of our suite had fallen asleep to the droning sounds.  Jay leaned over and within a half inch of this poor kid’s ear screamed as loud as he could: “WAKE UP!!”

I Don’t Want To Wait – Paula Cole, This Fire
Oohhhh….I don’t like admitting this one popped up on my iPod.  Let’s just write it off the completeness of my collection, shall we?  It’s not that it’s necessarily bad music, but it’s certainly something I have no business having.  Right, fellas?  *blush*  Paula Cole would conjure images more akin to loose clothes and noserings, lesbians and the Lilith Fair tour.  I think this catchy little ditty was made popular after being featured on some kind of TV show like Dawson’s Creek, or something.  ‘Nuff said?  Thanks.

 Catch ya'll next Friday, yo'!

No comments:

Post a Comment