Friday, January 21, 2011

The Friday Five - January 21, 2011

Nude – Radiohead, In Rainbows
Ahh…the album that made the music industry stand up and ask a collective, “HUH??”  When this band, very much in the prime of their career, flipped the record industry off by not only releasing their new 20__ album independently from their own website, but in a digital format preceding the  CD’s physical release in music stores, they were carving new territory.  But they didn’t stop there.  They introduced the pay-what-you-think-it’s-worth concept.  You could download the album for as little as free or pay as much as you wanted.  “HUH??”  I wish hockey executives could find a way to pay their athletes like that.  We’re still working through the new age of music and how to market/ obtain it…but Radiohead has certainly proven to be ahead of the game, not just in this practice of album release, but also in their music.  In Rainbows is a great album….well worth the, uhhmm….money.  It often reminds me of the mini-beat sound from Bjork’s Vespertine, but somehow in analog form.

Soma – The Strokes, Is This It?
One of my favorite albums of the previous decades, so much so that it epitomizes for me what the “L.A. sound” is supposed to be about.  After spinning the hell out of this album for the couple of years I had it, I brought it back out last year for its first listen in a while and found I still love it as much as I used to.  The Strokes were playing at Austin City Limits when Julie and I were there a few months ago and I did get to hear them blasting away on the stage while I stood in line at the ridiculous pee-shack lineup.  Too bad that they were playing at the same time as Phish…I really wanted to stay for their show, but not for the price of missing my fave.  So I kind of feel ripped off…like I’m owed a Strokes show.  My eyes are open!

Faded/ Whole Lotta Love – Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals, Live From Mars
This was the first Ben Harper album I ever bought and man, what a choice!  When just trying to figure out what this artist was all about, this two-disc show recording gives it all!  From ballads to blues to jazz to covers of Led Zeppelin..are you kidding me?  Exquisite live show and highlight of Ben Harper albums, in my opinion.  Listening to this album so often made me want to see him so badly, which I’ve managed to do a couple of times now.  On this track the heavy guitar sounds from Whole Lotta Love cause quite an imaginary visual as I picture Ben ripping the shit out that “gentle” guitar on his lap.  Perfecto!

There’s a World – Neil Young, Live at Massey Hall 1971
If you can believe it, this is the first Neil Young album I’ve ever had.  Outstanding, too.  1971 is my birth year, so I was somehow drawn to it when seeking to add a little Neil to my collection.  Live is also where it’s at with this cat.  I’ve seen him twice now and loved it all.  What never ceases to amaze me is how hard he shreds on the gee-tar.  Seeing him play in front of you on that Les Paul of his, it’s easy to see why they call him the Grandfather of Grunge.  This song, and album in fact, are not of the shredding sort, however.  Nice acoustic guitar playing coupled with his piano makes for a relaxing listen.


Curtis w/ Tom Murray (courtesy of Fish)
 Shuttlecock Rock – Bebop Cortez, The Romantic Panther….
Here’s a shout out to local band and a buddy, Curtis Ross.  One of Curtis’ projects from before I knew him, Bebop Cortez is downright funky!  On this album, his guitar playing probably is probably getting its best chance to emulate his influences, from what I know.  Curtis likes his music funky and is often citing the best from the Motown/ R&B age as his heroes.  If you can find it, add it!  They got back together a couple of years ago for a gig at Calgary’s Sled Island festival, so there’s always hope we’ll see them soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment