Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Friday Five - Two weeks late and on a Saturday

Okay, so by now we know the Friday Five is more of a target than a qualifying statement.  Sometimes it's hard to keep up!

Rich – Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Fever To Tell
This song is a fantastic example of how fantastic this band can be.  This debut release from 2003 is, to date, still my favorite album of the three they’ve released in total.  Somehow for me, Karen O’s voice is somehow more defining the music in these earlier songs than in the later ones…as if that snarl could ever become a passenger to the accompanying instruments.  This song kind of shows off all of the band’s best attributes from the aforementioned voice to the simple noisy guitar, the punk rock edge and the catchy little hooks…and they combine it all perfectly.



Lights Go Down - Basement Jaxx, Crazy Itch Radio
One of my guilty pleasure bands, this is one of the few I enjoy from the genre of house (dance) music.  I’m not a big nightclub guy, to be sure and even less of a dancer, but this isn’t about that.  I don’t care how many douches you think have these CD’s in their cars, Basement Jaxx is about the music for me.  It’s innovative, and incredibly detailed.  Listening to their album Kish Kash, I was absolutely astounded at the production of it and am still amazed when I think about these guys sitting together when coming up with new music and where the hell their ideas come from.  This track is a bit of a slow burner of an otherwise average album, but all in all, there’s always room for this stuff on my shuffle.


Little By Little – Susan Tedeschi, Best Of.....
When Julie and I went to New Orleans we went to eat lunch at the House of Blues.  The sign on the wall said Susan Tedeschi would be playing there that upcoming weekend.  We immediately spent our $15 each and returned a few days later for a terrific show!  Neither of us really knew much of her music, but we knew she was there.  A blues guitar player, tall and red-headed, married to guitar legend in making, Derek Trucks.  She already had instant street cred.  Anyway, she’s the new generation’s Bonnie Raitt.  She comes off tough as nails while she’s playing, but between songs she is the softest spoken, genuine sweetheart of a woman you could ever hope to be in the presence of. 

Landfall – Jimmy Buffett, Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes
Wow..we’re really showing the diversity of my album collection today, aren’t we?  Well, Jimmy…what can I say?  I honestly bought this album solely for the reason that I thought Margaritaville was a standard everyone needs to have….kinda like a black suit in the wardrobe.  Yeah, I was about 23 when I made that decision.  Not exactly what you’d call a fan of his…in fact, I think I’ve only ever listened to this album once in the 16 years I’ve had it.  But he’s not offensive either.  Just in it’s entirety, not really my thing.

The Dog Song – Nellie McKay, Get Away From Me
Another of quirky, piano playing girls I seem to keep falling for over and over.  This was a double album that I got after reading a review.  I would say it’s an average album, not one that I play very much.  But it just so happens that this is a pretty cute song.  From time to time I make Ruby her own CD’s to listen to in the car, etc. and this is one of her favorite songs.  She always makes me put it on every mix I do up for her.  Funny thing is, while singing along, Ruby has mastered the weird time signatures which impresses the hell out of me.   

No comments:

Post a Comment