Thursday, November 25, 2010

One Night In Bangkok

To update a little bit for the time I've been away from the computer, I had a bit of bachelor time last weekend.  Julie had planned to go out to her friend Tandie’s place for dinner…bit of a girls’ night.  I decided that since Julie would be out and I didn’t have Ruby, that I would enjoy a little time for myself, too.  Lorenzo and I went out for dinner and a couple of cocktails, which is something he and I rarely do.  I bet in the 20 years I’ve known him we’ve gone out to a restaurant together like 5 or 6 times.  I dunno why…it’s just that way.  Anyway, after we finish up Lar and I are headed back to the shop to hang out and watch a little hockey when I get a text from Julie; “think I’m sleeping over, been drinking wine!”  Oh dear…here we go.  Funniest part of this, I thought, was that it was only 8:00pm when I got that text!  Hahaha!!      

Anyway, I headed home from Lar’s at about 10 with feelings of  freedom dancing in my head.  What to do?!?!?!  First, let’s think briefly about what Julie might be up to by now:  I figure if it’s an apartment full of girls and they’ve been pretty drunk for a couple hours already, this impromptu slumber party most surely must have digressed into a naked pillow fight by now!  Right?  Girls do that, right?  I knew it!

So, after rolling those thoughts around in my imagination for a while, I decided that with a couple of beers in me already and a couple more in the fridge just dying to get popped, it’s time for a little jam session.  No one but the dog around to critique me and hey…what the hell does he know?  So, after a couple of warm up tunes on the acoustic while I brought my buzz back up to that acceptable level which is conducive to freedom of expression, I plugged in the Telecaster and got a little more down into it. 

A song I started to pick up the week previous was “Rescue Blues” by Ryan Adams.  Don’t know what brought my attention to that song in the first place, but that night it couldn’t have been any better of a choice.  Simple structure of three chords or so, it’s a cautionary tale of drug use.  No complication in it, very simple…but that’s one of the things I really like about the blues and consequently about many of the artists I’ve been enjoying of late: simple songs that are made more interesting because of the investment of feeling.  By the time I finished about my third or fourth run through of that song, singing loud and feeling it, it’s one of my new faves to play.  I’ve resolved to put that chord progression down on the four-track soon (this weekend?) and try to improvise my own solo over it.  If I can achieve the same level of letting-loosedness that I had last night, I think I can bring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment