Friday, December 3, 2010

The Friday Five - December 03, 2010

Ventura – Lucinda Williams, Live at the Fillmore
I was in a local record store shopping around for who knows what.  As I flipped through CD’s, I was listening to this passionately charged up half-country, half blues (all rock!) stuff coming out of the overhead speakers.  At first because  I wasn’t really paying particular attention, rather sub-consciously just letting it permeate my brain, I hadn’t even discerned the difference between whether this was a man or woman.  All I knew was that I loved what I was hearing.  So, of course, I asked the clerk what was on.  He pulled out the CD case and held it up for me; the cover art even struck me as awesome.  “Lucinda Williams!”, he exclaimed.  I had heard her name before but hadn’t really paid any attention to what she was doing.  Well, that was about to change.  This live double album from the famed Fillmore actually changed the way I listened to music.  My gateway CD, if you will.  I have always been one to seek out and find new music.  As far as I’m concerned, I struck gold with this.  I have talked about this album, lent it to many, listened to it relentlessly (no pun intended, for those that know her songs) and learned to play as many songs on my guitar from here as I can…in fact, I can even say this album changed the way I played and treated my guitar.  Everyone has those albums that they feel have influenced or made an effect on their life; this is one of mine.  Most definitely in my top 5 albums of all time.

Me & My Friends – Hank Williams III, Damn Right, Rebel Proud
I remember there was actually quite a bit of hype around this album when it was released in 2008.  I actually don’t know a lot about the history of Hank 3, as he’s affectionately called, except for his obvious lineage.  Although I can honestly say I’m not a huge fan of his pitchy voice, it has indeed grown on me.  And I think I’m gonna let it grow on me some more.  As the name of the album would suggest, he often sings like a rebel, telling people (like the Grand Ol’ Opry) to fuck off.  He’s got some demons, to be sure…but I find that often translate well for music.  It sure did for his Grandaddy.

We Are The People – John Mellencamp, The Lonesome Jubilee
Jesus, here’s a blast from the past.  I bet I haven’t listened to this album in 20 years.  For real.  Letting it go on now, it doesn’t even sound that old.  I wonder…is it possible that John Cougar could actually be timeless?  Nah!  Couldn’t be.  Could it?  Anyway, most of my memories revolve around Jack & Diane when I was a pre-teen just getting into listening to the radio, rather than whatever my parents had on in the house.  The birth of my individuality.  I have a real hard time thinking this guy played a part in ushering in that time of my life for me.  But then again, he’s a straightforward, musically honest musician.  And what shame is there in that?  Yeah, you what?  I don’t care.  I liked that time in my life.  Fist pump to John Cougar!

Blue – The Thorns, The Thorns
This is one of those albums I purchased based on a written review.  It was even hailed as a bit of a supergroup, although that might be taking it a little far.  Matthew Sweet, Pete Droge and Shawn Mullins are all fine musicians in their own rite.  They came together for this laid-back, acoustic album in 2003 and to date, it's their only offering as a trio.  The album is okay, if predictable and safe.  I don’t mind having it on in the background, but there’s not a lot about it that makes it stand out or rise above anything else.  The song writing is tight, of course, but then…I dunno why, but it just doesn’t seem enough.  Somehow unfulfilled?  Hhmmm….



Purr – Sonic Youth, Dirty
Haha!  My newest foray based on the love of my girlfriend.  I don’t really know how I missed out on this generational swing.  Although I’m going to be completely honest…as I started to hear their name floated around a bit more, still without ever having heard any of their music, the name of this band, Sonic Youth, for some reason conjured an image of two late teened Justin Beiber type boy band things.  Stop it!  Stop picking on me!  I didn’t know!  And I still don’t know what planted the seed that made that image pop to mind every time I heard that name, but it did.  That’s not my fault, is it?  Anyway, now that Julie has set me straight I’ve seen them live twice (on the same trip, mind you) and have been listening to the noise.  I’m a little late to the party, but I’m okay with that.  This is one of the stronger albums from their catalog, for sure and this song seems to me as a classic kind of SY song.  Check back with me later when my education has become a little more complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment