Friday, December 17, 2010

The Friday Five - December 17, 2010

Detlef Schrempf – Band of Horses, Cease To Begin
Here’s a band that Julie introduced me to…and since that time I’ve noticed them getting more and more popular.  We just caught them down at Austin City Limits where they sounded pretty good.  Out of the three albums of theirs that I have, this one is my favorite.  Although they are most definitely nothing close to a country band, there are moments when the melodies evoke that genre, but are somehow put out of place by the instrumentation and vocal style, so that you can’t really recognize the influence until you’re on your third listen through.  There was some changeover in the band during the time of making this album and it somehow comes off more sparse or personal than the other two albums.  It should be noted however, that the subsequent album to this, Infinite Arms released in 2010, has garnered a Grammy nomination for Best Alternative Album.  If you didn’t know much of them before, I think you’re about to.

Sky Blue Sky – Wilco, Sky Blue Sky
One of my favorite albums right now…I’ve had it in the 6 disc changer of my car for about 4 months now and whenever I change the music up, I always seem to leave this one in the cartridge.  I know everyone else that rides with me must be sick of hearing it by now, but whatevs.  This is a lovely, if typical Wilco track…a well written and versed song.  Tweedy singing over the acoustic arpeggio of his guitar carry the tune.  Since I’ve learned a couple of tunes form this band to add to my own arsenal of guitar songs to play, this is actually on my list for one of the next songs I want to learn.

See That My Grave Is Kept Clean – Mavis Staples, Lightning In a Bottle Soundtrack
Back in around 2005 or so, I read an article about this move, Lightning In a Bottle, playing only for a weekend at the Citadel Theatre.  It sounded like something I might be into, so I went to check it out…and I came out of there a happy man!  It’s a history of the blues with an all-star concert spattered throughout the documentary.  As you hear stories recounted by B.B. King and Buddy Guy about their influences and humble southern beginnings, you learn about the Delta and about where the blues came from.  You’re introduced to folks like Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown and David “Honeyboy” Edwards.  During the concert, modern performers are brought in the emulate their heroes, so you get to see the likes of Macy Gray, Angelique Kidjo, John Fogerty, Bonnie Raitt and Steven Tyler interact with backstage with their idols.  Fantastic movie and fantastic soundtrack. 

Don’t get Me Wrong – The Pretenders, Greatest Hits
The Pretenders are one of those groups I grew up that were just kind of  always there.  Good solid stuff.  But I had never in my life bought a Pretenders album.  I have no idea why.  It was kind of like growing up with Tom Petty…same thing.  Anyway, from time to time I’d hear Ms. Hynde singing somewhere and think, “Jesus..they really are a good band.”  So, just a couple of months ago I bought this album of Hits.  This is the kind of stuff that are becoming American classics for me.  Just good ol’ straight ahead rock n’ roll.  I’ve got to listen to more of this kind of stuff.

And It Spread – The Avett Brothers, I and Love and You
My new favorite darlings.  How do you explain this fellas?  They were playing the Folk Music festival circuit last summer in addition to some of the bigger festivals like Bonnaroo.  But I’d be hard pressed to describe them to someone as a folk band.  I mean, yeah…there’s banjos and acoustics guitars and maybe someone evens pulls out a washboard to scrape once in a while.  But they can also scream…and they do.  Like punk rockers punishing a song for being to tuneful, they let loose with their youth and let you have it from time to time.  Another fantastic album in my collection; perhaps if I can manage to pull Wilco out of my car, I’ll replace it with this for a four month run.


No comments:

Post a Comment